Monday, February 22, 2010

Project Update... Script, Casting, etc...

I have been working on the script, further tweaking it, and deepening the characters. I added a scene with a new supporting character, Lenny, to help show more of the main character, Gordon, before he undergoes the transformation. I am also working in an 'alter ego' character for Gordon. This character, named Confident Gordon, will appear from time to time to show the duality of Gordon's personality, as well as the internal struggle he goes through after the transformation.

A casting session is scheduled for Friday, February 26. I have submitted my project to a few casting websites: SFCasting.com, NowCasting.com, and Bay Area Casting News. I have been going through submissions to decide which actors to call for auditions. I also went through my script and selected several 'sides' (about 2 pages from the script) for the actors to read during the auditions. I have a couple of people scheduled to assist me with the casting session. In the future I would like to have more help with the preliminary work I have been doing in regards to casting. I feel like I'm barely pulling it together- there's so much to think about and do. I hope the casting goes well and I find some interested actors who can bring my characters to life. Apparently it's pretty competitive finding experienced actors for this type of project, since I'm not paying, and there are tons of short movies being made these days. It feels like I'm auditioning my project to the actors instead of the other way around.

Last week I picked up a bunch of parts from Urban Ore and brought them to Ben. He has been working on building the robot props.

I 'hired' a cinematographer to help with the shooting. He has cinematography experience from film school, and is also a photographer. He took pictures at my production meeting and I liked his eye for composition, so I asked him consider doing cinematography for my project. Having him behind the camera is going to help me tremendously, especially considering I have decided to take on a major acting roll in the movie. At this point, I don't know what's going to be more difficult; finding good actors who are available, or acting in my own movie.

1 comment:

  1. Eric, One suggestion re: casting. You might also try people in the cinema dept. They are used to acting in each other's productions and you may find people closer to campus.

    ReplyDelete