Saturday, March 6, 2010

"Asshole Robot and the Benefits of an Artificial Mind"

The working title "Asshole Robot" came from an idea I had about a guy who's roommate builds a robot to replace people he doesn't like. When the 'guy' asks his 'roommate' for the rent, a man sized, very stiff mechanical robot intercepts and insults the 'guy'. The robot is such an asshole! Eventually, the 'roommate' builds another robot, which looks exactly like the 'guy'. The new robot, which is a perfect replica, then murders the 'guy' and replaces him, taking over his life. Soon the 'roommate' builds other robot replicas of people, and murders them also. Meanwhile, the stiff, mechanical 'asshole robot' watches over and insults every person who comes along before they are replaced by replicas.  

The story eventually evolved into what I have now. The title "Asshole Robot" no longer fit my story, so I didn't have a title. When I decided to cast the current project, I needed a title, so I used the original title as a working title. It got the attention of potential actors, and has turned out to be a catchy title. But I still needed a real title for the project. I finally decided on a title for the current project:

"Benefits of an Artificial Mind"

While the new title fits the story, it would be a shame to loose the catchy working title. My solution is to expand the new title to:

"Asshole Robot and the Benefits of an Artificial Mind"

So this is the title for my project.

The second rewrite of the new script has undergone some significant changes and upgrades, based on research done for this class project. I've added new characters to support the main characters and show their personalities. The characters have been fleshed out even further as I wrote backstories and scenes with the supporting characters. Now all the characters have many layers of depth and backstory to help bring them to life. The complexity of the characters will provide a challenge to the actors and hopefully a fulfilling experience to the movie's audience.

One of the later editions to the cast is an alter ego of the main character, Gordon. This new character, which I call "Confident Gordon", provides insight to the mind of Gordon and how he deals with other people. The reason for the Confident Gordon character is to show the struggle that Gordon goes through after the computer program takes over his mind. The artificial intelligence program takes over Gordon's mind for the most part, but the old Gordon is still there, being controlled by the program. I am still working on incorporating Confident Gordon into the scenes which take place after Gordon has undergone the transformation. This may be the biggest challenge I face as a writer, as I have to think about the subconscious struggle between the Artificial Intelligence and the suppressed natural personality of Gordon. Now Gordon's alter ego, Confident Gordon, becomes subservient to the computer program, which proves to be the dominant personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment